Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Execution...

I have made a lot of progress with putting the sculpture together. I have approached a lot of companies for sponsorship. And found a great guy who will give me fibre optics and will let me borrow the light sources for free!!! He gave me a rope of fibre optics for now to play with.
Finding sponsorship for perspex was much harder. In the end I got a 'student discount' from a company but it is still very expensive.
I have decided to pay the company to laser cut the shapes I need as the sculpture will be viewed in close up so needs to be of a highest quality. If I hand cut it in the University workshop, I do not think that I could get the quality of edges that I want. And the University Laser cutter just can't do objects that size.
The sculpture is going to be 1.2 by 1.5 m wide, hoping to hang it up on the wall of the gallery if it is not too heavy.
Looking forward to all the parts coming together...fingers crossed it all fits and looks good.

2 comments:

kathyw said...

Hi Dasha

It sounds as though your project is going ahead well, have you got an image/drawing of what you intend, or images of it part way through construction? If so it would be really good to put these on your blog because it is a bit hard to get a sense of the visual aspects of your project at the moment so a little hard to comment.

Cheers
kathy

kathyw said...

Hi Dasha

I think it would be useful if you were to measure up the small vestibule at the Gus Fisher, where you intend to show your work and then make a quick to scale drawing (plan and elevation perhaps) showing the location of your work. We want to be sure that the sculpture you are making doesn’t impede the flow of people into and out of the main space and we also need to consider how the sculpture will get an energy supply and how it will fix to the wall.

I think this would help for the overall design of the show.
Could you do this over the next week or so? Let me know if you want me to explain this further

Cheers
kathy